A fire broke out in the campus surrounding DIET office this evening around 7:45.
The DIET campus, opposite Eklingarh cantonment, full of dry and semi dry cut down vegetation suddenly went up in flames around 7:45 p.m. today. Whether the fire was an accident or not is yet to be known, but the way it spread was enough to create a commotion among the colony dwellers. The houses attached to the boundary wall of the campus were much in danger as the flames were high enough to reach the windows of the first floor. Fire brigade were called up immediately, but by the time the vehicles reached the area, almost entire layout had been burnt. Smoke filled up the air when fire spread around freely leaving the neighbouring residents coughing. The only good part is that there were no casualties since the DIET building was not closely lined up by trees.
As per the witnesses, something was being burnt on the roof top of the DIET building, part of which may have been accidentally thrown towards the area where dry leaves were piled up. This resulted in the fire to spread since dry grass and leaves catch fire immediately.
A few people were seen running around to find ways to douse the fire to prevent it from spreading. The only trouble here was that it was not easy to enter the area because of thorny bushes near the boundary wall. Also none of the neighbouring houses had long garden pipes. It was a matter of concern and a lesson learnt that every house should have certain important things available at all times. Not all may have a garden at home and rarely does anyone have fire extinguishers…but these are the important things that we need to keep in order to deal with such calamities. There was a murmur that had there been longer garden pipes, people could have connected them to the water tanks overhead and stopped the fire from spreading.
Since the area is not vast, the fire brigade could manage to make the place safe at the earliest.