Reliance Jio Unleashed – Ambani declares free Jio services from Sep 5 – Dec 31
“Jio means to live and to be alive to every opportunity.” said Mukesh Ambani as he launched Reliance Jio at the 42nd Annual General Meeting of Reliance Industies. He further said, “World’s demand for digital oxygen, that is Data, is growing exponentially. Jio aims to fulfill this need of Indians. Access to information will now know no barriers“.
Ambani had a lot to offer, right from low data usage charges, free voice calls, lucrative schemes for students, et al as he launched the much awaited Jio in a big-bang manner, where he also announced that all voice calls for Jio customers will be free.
With a plethora of plans on offer from Rs. 19 per day to Rs. 149 per month, the maximum heavy usage plan is limited to Rs. 4,999 per month.
Will Reliance will disrupt the Mobile industry as before…
Reliance Jio – Ten Commandments
- All Jio services absolutely free for users from September 5 till December 31, 2016
- 90% of India’s population expected to be covered by March 2017
- JioFi Router launched at Rs. 1,999
- New Lyf devices starting at Rs. 2,999
- Devices supporting 4G-LTE will soon touch 100% from the existing 70%
- 1 Million Hotspots across India
- 25% Extra Data for Students holding ID Card
- 600 Movies, thousands of magazines and newspapers to be added for Jio Customers along with 28,00,000 Songs
- Jio Money will enable customers go cashless
- Real Time Access to Bills – no data blackout dates, no additional festive charges
Ambani presented Jio in an hour long speech, in which he said,”Why did we call our venture Jio? Why is our motto Jio Digital Life? The world is the the beginning of a digital revolution. Anything and everything that can go digital is going digital exponentially. Life is going digital,” adding, “in the next 20 years, we will collectively achieve more than what we have been able to achieve in the last 300 years. In this era, if you are not digital, you simply will not survive. You will be left behind and you will be irrelevant. India and Indians cannot afford to be left behind. Jio is expected to take the global ranking of India from 150 to the top ten in the world in terms of digital reach“.
Even before the hyped launch, Reliance had every other operator on its feet, as they went aggressively announcing freebies to target new customers and retain existing ones. It is believed that with the aggressive competition in place and with the launch of Jio, the long run will see only a few players keeping up profitability and the market will be shared between 3-4 players.
The launch of Jio has reportedly wiped off Rs 16,000 Crores of the Market Cap of Airtel, Idea and RCom!
Source Credits: The Financial Express; Economic Times; PTI; Reuters
Photo Credits: The Financial Express; PTI, Indian Express