Udaipur citizens are happy today and celebrating the tag of ‘Nagar Nigam’ (Municipal Corporation in English) announced by Chief Minister in today’s state Budget 2013-14. But a very few really know about the benefits of this transformation from council to corporation.
Here are some important changes that Udaipur will soon witness after becoming Corporation.
Whole civic administration and services that include Water, Drainage, Roads, Street Lights, Maintenance and care of Gardens, Public Transport System, Birth and Death records will come under Municipal Corporation of the city.
This will somehow erase the present confusion between Urban Improvement Trust and Municipal Council as the Municipal Corporation will be the sole body to see all these developments in the city.
Present chairperson of council will take the post of City Mayor.
Municipal Commissioner will be an IAS Officer appointed by the Government.
City Mayor and Commissioner for Corporation will be the two top authorities. Next will be deputy commissioners who will see their respective Zones in the city and all ward areas will be divided into these zones.
The status of Municipal Corporation is given to those cities whose population crosses 10 lakh mark. Since Udaipur is declared as corporation, now the amount of budget for city will be increased, monthly pay of ward councilor will also increase as per the norms.
Each ward area should have a population of 10,000 people. This means that if an area has a resident population of 10,000 or more, then it will be declared as a Ward. Udaipur at present has 55 wards, after Municipal Corporation status, number of wards will increase to 80.
Present chairperson Rajni Dangi will be first Mayor of Udaipur Municipal Corporation.
- Passenger auto rickshaws will have to install meter as per the Corporation Laws.
- Helmets would be compulsory.
- Passenger 12 seat auto rickshaw would not be allowed in main city areas.
- City Buses will start soon.
- Encroachments will be removed.
- Thelewalas (street vendors) or/and people selling goods on road will be confined to a place.
- International Airport might start soon.
- New Train services may start.
- Rates of Lands will increase.
- Multi storey buildings will be constructed.