You Know You're From Udaipur If…
Either you live or have lived at least once in a house with a BIG metal rigged gap rig
You know you’re from Udaipur if you acknowledge that:
1. Either you live or have lived at least once in a house with a BIG metal rigged gap right in the middle of a floor predominantly to ease communication between floors ( easy to yell through instead of climbing all the way to another floor just to communicate)
2. You love to travel by Rickshaws irrespective of having your personal vehicle.
3. It is impossible to walk a mile without bumping into any relatives or friends and spending at least a minimum of 10 minutes mindlessly chattering about god knows what, irrespective of a dozen vehicles honking around you.
4. You have spotted at least one celebrity or a film shooting around the city.
5. Power cuts and water cuts have become a regular norm and you have learnt to schedule yourself around them.
6. Fateh Sagar is the city’s hotspot: It is considered uber cool to hang out by the lake with your dost log doing NOTHING. To top this, you have a permanent spot at the lake that is considered your official address for anyone to locate you.
7. You are biased towards a particular fast food vendor at either Fateh Sagar or Sukhadia Circle (or both) who you faithfully strut to whenever in the mood to gorge.
8. You have been practically brought up in the city or at least lived there for a considerable chunk of time, and still have no idea/knowledge about any of the local museums or vernacular craft shops, that Tourists/foreigners go insanely ga ga over and almost pay a fortune to explore.
9. You have certainly graced one colossal wedding where the bride and the groom are set up on a stage for long tiresome hours. Starving and exhausted with plastic smiles, the couple and their family greet the 1000 guests that have shown up to get their pictures clicked with the “blessed couple” and of course devour on the free food.
10. It is perfectly tolerable for you to crib and complain about your city, but when you hear an outsider do it – you instantly attack the losers and defend Udaipur as being the best.
PS: This list is inexhaustible! You can keep adding to it. Share your thoughts!
Nazneen Saifuddin is an architect by profession and a cynical critic cum visual designer by interest, but an avid conversationalist foremost. She believes “Life is too short and hence have time to do a billion things only in a million days…!”
To join us on Facebook Click Here and Subscribe to UdaipurTimes Broadcast channels on GoogleNews | WhatsApp | Telegram | Signal