Cancer Ward at MB Hospital engulfed in flames – Home Guard and Resident Doctors pull patients to safety
Cancer ward at the Maharana Bhupal General Hospital at Udaipur was engulfed in flames today morning due to a short circuit. The flames quickly spread to the record room, XRay room while taking in its wake the adjoining areas. Home Guard on duty and Doctors showed valor in saving the lives of all patients
Cancer ward at the Maharana Bhupal General Hospital at Udaipur was engulfed in flames today morning due to a short circuit. The flames quickly spread to the record room, XRay room while taking in its wake the adjoining areas. Home Guard on duty and Doctors showed valor in saving the lives of all patients.
Doctors in the ward played a substantial role in rescuing patiens who were trapped in the ward as the patients and their relatives were looking for help in escaping the flames. Resident doctors played a significant role in the rescue operation, where one of the doctors CP Mudgal also sustained burn injuries. The resident doctors showed presence of mind and entered the smoke zone after placing cloth on their face, and pulled out the patients to the team waiting outside the ward, who then shifted the patients to the MICU.
A significant role was played by Border Home Guard Jai Singh, who was on duty at that time. He pulled out patients from the roof of the ward. On noticing the smoke coming out of the ward, Jai immediately broke open the gate outside Medicine Ward #6 and jumped on to the roof of the ward adjacent to the cancer ward. He noticed that the patients were ready to jump from the roof. Maintaining his balance, he used one hand to hold on to his side of the roof, and with the other hand, pulled the patients from the roof of the cancer ward to safety. He thus managed to rescue around 5 patients.
During the episode, it came to light that the fire fighting assembly in the hospital was not up to the mark thereby causing delay in extinguishing the flames. Collector Anandi reached the location of the incident and informed media that all patients were safely shifted to the other wards and were in stable condition.
Presence of mind displayed by doctors and the home guard ensured that there was no damage to human life and at the same time, the sad state of affairs with respect to fire fighting equipment in the hospital was also exposed.