The Reserve Bank of India and all banks have issued an advisory against targeted phishing campaigns against Indian individuals and businesses.
Phishing attacks are done through malicious e-mail impersonating government organisations to lure victims through the Covid-19 theme. Thsi email will contain an advisory and invite the recipient to click on the attachment or fill in her/his financial details on a fake website.
These are the precautionary measures you should take to keep yourself safe:
- Ensure that you download your Banking application only from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store only.
- Read the rating, reviews, download counts, comments, etc before downloading the app from either of the above.
- Be vary of e-mails and links providing special offers like free COVID19 testing, Aid, winning prizes, reward points and expiry cashback and such freebies.
- DO NOT click links or open atachment of an unsoliocited e-mail or SMS received from untrusted sources or even if they come from people in your contact list.
- DO NOT click on attachments with extensions like .exem .pif, .tmp, .url, .vb, .vbe, .scr, .reg, .cer, .pst, .cmd, .com, .bat, .dll, .dat, .hlp, .hta, .js, .wsf.
- Never download apps related to CORONA VIRUS from untrusted sources.
- DO NOT submit personal and confidential financial details on unfamiliar / unknown websites/links.
- DO NOT use an open/unsecured/unknown Wifi network.
- Beware of e-mails from unfamiliar e-mail addresses and do check for spelling errors in the mail, website or link.
- Install licensed versions of anti-virus on your phones and your PC and keep them updated.
- Maintian a strong and complex password/passphrase for your accounts.