Admissions are being invited for Summer School for Future Leaders in Development programme at IIM Udaipur. This is a six-week course organized by the Center for Development Management at IIM Udaipur and the Sanford School of Public Policy at Duke University, USA.
The Summer School brings together students from Duke, students from prominent Indian universities and early career staff members from Indian non-governmental organizations (NGOs). It is aimed at future development leaders seeking careers in the academic field, in practical areas of development and in related sectors dealing with contemporary socio-political challenges.
- Each participant will be part of a three-person team made up of a student from Duke University, a student from an Indian University and a young NGO professional.
- Each team will spend 2½ weeks in the field hosted by a regional NGO working in rural villages or urban slums.
- The team will identify gaps in existing responses to community needs and will create a detailed project proposal for the NGO including a needs appraisal, implementation plan, budget and cost-benefit analysis. The proposal will be in a form suitable for presentation to potential funders.
- Each team would also study the ownership and governance structure of the NGO and assess its strengths and weaknesses with respect to implementation and financial sustainability.
- Participants will earn a certificate from IIM Udaipur.
The Summer School takes place from June 16th – July 28th, 2018.
For applicants from Indian universities and colleges
- Mandatory: Master’s Degree (or must have appeared for final exam of final year of degree)
- Preferred but not required: Work Experience
- Note: The program is not open to Ph.D. students
For applicants from NGOs and Social Enterprises
- Mandatory: Bachelor’s Degree
- Work Experience: 5 years
- Preferred but not required : Master’s degree
- Selection Procedure
- Online application form with required supporting documents
- Statement of purpose
- Telephonic interview
- Participants will receive a full scholarship. There will be a token charge of Rs. 20,000. All other program costs including accommodation and boarding will be covered by the scholarship.
- The program is fully residential.
- Students will stay in IIMU student hostels while taking classes in Udaipur.
- During field visits, host NGOs will arrange home stays with local families.