UGC approves use of NET scores for PhD Admissions 2024-25

UGC approves use of NET scores for PhD Admissions 2024-25

The decision was announced by UGC Chairman Mamidala Jagadesh Kumar

 
UGC NET

In a bid to simplify the process of doctoral program admissions, the University Grants Commission (UGC) has approved the use of National Eligibility Test (NET) scores for PhD admissions starting from the 2024-25 academic session. This move, in line with the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020, aims to alleviate the burden on candidates who currently give multiple entrance exams conducted by different universities for PhD admissions. The decision, announced by Mamidala Jagadesh Kumar, the UGC chairman, eliminates the necessity for separate entrance exams, paving the way for streamlined admissions based on UGC NET scores.

UGC Chairman

Under the new guidelines, successful UGC NET qualifiers will be eligible for three distinct categories of admissions

  1. PhD admission with JRF and assistant professor positions.
  2. PhD admission without JRF, yet eligible for assistant professor roles.
  3.  Admission solely to PhD programs.

The announcement followed deliberations during the 578th UGC meeting convened on March 13, where recommendations from an expert committee were carefully considered. The NET, conducted biannually in June and December, primarily facilitates the allocation of Junior Research Fellowships (JRF) and the selection of Assistant Professors among individuals holding master's degrees.

Jagadesh Kumar emphasized that the National Testing Agency (NTA) is gearing up to commence the application process for the June 2024 NET session imminently. "From the academic session 2024-2025, all universities can utilize NET scores for admission to PhD programs, replacing the need for diverse university/HEI entrance tests," affirmed Kumar.

It is important to note that in the evaluation of candidates for PhD admissions, 70% weightage will be assigned to UGC NET scores, with the remaining 30% determined through interviews.

Anticipated shortly is the release of the UGC NET June 2024 notification on the official website at ugcnet.nta.nic.in. Candidates are reminded that NET scores retain validity for one year, further emphasizing the significance of timely application and preparation.


 

To join us on Facebook Click Here and Subscribe to UdaipurTimes Broadcast channels on   GoogleNews |  Telegram |  Signal