Migraine is a headache with varying intensities in which people become sensitive to light, sound and smell. Nausea is a very common symptom in migraine. Though migraine is not completely curable, yet there are some ways through which we can find relief to an extent. By following simple healthy habits and some remedies, we can prevent migraine from taking its toll on us.
Apart from medication, there are certain changes to be made in lifestyle which can prove beneficial and prevent that migraine from getting triggered. Since it is also affected by our daily routine, we can try these simple methods to lower the intensity. I am mentioning steps that I have followed and gained from.
- The first thing to be taken care of is the environment change. Since you and only you know what is soothing during this painful moment, do make sure that you find a calm and soothing environment for your senses. Once your senses feel relaxed only then can you think of a next step else the pain will only intensify.
- Switch off the lights once you are in a peaceful room. Draw the curtains during daytime to block all light from entering the area. This might make you fall asleep and that is what you need. Lack of sleep also triggers this suffocating pain.
- Try hot and cold therapy. Hot and cold compresses on the most tender area or the area where you feel a certain kind of throbbing helps in relaxing the muscles. Some people have also benefitted by hot and cold showers. You can also ask someone to massage your back and put pressure on certain points which give you relief.
- Drinking beverages like coffee also helps but in small quantity. If your smelling sense has worsened during this time and makes you throw-up, all the more better. Nausea helps relieving the pain. Strong but half a cup of coffee has helped me, so please give it a try.
- Also for those who get migraine very often, always carry a plain dairy milk chocolate bar in your bag. The intake of chocolate when that pain starts has shown good results on many.
- For those who do not feel like eating a morsel even, pomegranate is the best option. It doesn’t have a smell to make you puke and has medicinal properties as well. Keeping the stomach full for some hours is the added advantage of a pomegranate.
- Vanilla icecreams and chocolate icecreams have also done me wonders many times. The moment I get to know that something is about to happen, these icecreams soothe my senses. Also sugar content in the icecream balances the sugar level in the body, loss of which may also result in weakness hence resulting in migraine.
- We also need to have regular sleep hours. A nap during the day helps a lot in relieving mental and physical tensions.
- Always wear sunglasses when you move out during the day. The sun’s glare causes havoc with the migraine sufferers. Keeping the head covered and protecting it from direct heat is also one simple remedy.
Do watch yourself. Whatever soothes your senses should become a regular activity. Be it music, stroll, exercise or reading a book. Basically migraine patients need to have an organised life style. You never know when it will hit you. So if the daily activity pattern is designed to keep yourself calm, it will definitely help you to keep migraine at bay. Never over eat and never stay hungry. Both are harmful for migraine patients. Stay away from strong smells, use mild perfumes and deos. Some colours also have a negative effect on eyes, so keep a watch and avoid using those colours around you at home at least.