Chaos reverberated in the silence of the night after a massive fire broke out in Moiyadpura Masjid at Bohrawadi in Udaipur Walled City area at 2am today. Though the fire was fierce and there were many people present in the mosque, fortunately there was no injury reported.
The Dawoodi Bohra community across the globe celebrated Lailatul Qadr, the biggest night of the Holy Month of Ramadan. In Udaipur, accordingly, all masjid's of the community were full with people. The prayers, worship and recital of Qur'an continued from sunset yesterday till sunrise today. According to sources, the flames started from the roof of the mosque late at 2am, due to which the false ceiling on the roof of the mosque got burnt; the awnings caught fire and collapsed. The masjid was full of worshipers at that time, but timely action and mutual help as well as help from nearby residents ensured that there were no injuries and everyone was safely evacuated.
As per sources, the mosque was heavily illuminated due to the big night. The meter was heating up due to excessive load, so the load was shifted to the generator mounted on the roof. Sources said that a short circuit occurred as soon as the generator was switched on and the fire broke out. Due to the flames and heat, the false ceiling caught fire and the fire spread to the awnings. There was chaos in the Masjid and people helped each other to evacuate to safety.
The fire was brought under control by the immediate arrival of fire tenders on the spot. In the photos and videos that went viral late at night, people were seen attempting to douse the fire by throwing sand on the meter. The fire started from the roof and women were praying on the higher floors - they were pulled out in time.
To join us on Facebook Click Here and Subscribe to UdaipurTimes Broadcast channels on GoogleNews | WhatsApp | Telegram | Signal