Subhash Dudani (63), the alleged mastermind behind the Rs 5000 crore illegal manufacture and trade of Mandrax tablet in Udaipur has a lot of history attached to him. UT tried to gather titbits on the kingpin of what is estimated to be India’s largest illegal drug scandal.
Here are some of the facts that we could dig out:
- Dudani had produced a Bollywood movie in 2011 starring Alok Nath and Deepal Shaw. The movie titled Vikalp had flopped big time on the screens
- Dudani was booked in 1991 by the airport customs for smuggling Rs 13.27 lakh of foreign currency
- Besides the drug racket, Dudani is currently being investigated by CBI for alleged diversion of Rs 100 Crore from state-owned banks : IDBI Bank and Indian Overseas Bank. Sun Opticals, a firm owned by Dudani was booked in 2015 by CBI for diversion of funds.
- 4-days before the drug raid, IOB had auctioned off Sun Optical’s plant and machinery for recovery of Rs 40 Crores
- Dudani runs six companies including Sun Opticals. He owns a parcel of land in Udaipur in industrial estate and at least four properties in Mumbai
- He was born in Udaipur and is a post graduated in Zoology
- He was planning to leave the drug business after dispatching the current batch of Mandrax drugs, during the production and storage of which the firm was nabbed
- When his family came to meet him at the session court, he told them to take care of kids but “not worry about money at all and that he would still take care of all expenses“.